Neomag for Health Professionals
Neomag 4mmol (97.2mg) Magnesium Glycerophosphate Chewable Tablets The only MHRA approved Magnesium tablets in the UK1
“Magnesium deficiency has been reported in 20-60% of patients in ICU and approximately 12% of general hospital inpatients” 2
Neomag® 4mmol Chewable Tablets are indicated as oral magnesium supplements for the treatment of patients with chronic magnesium loss or hypomagnesaemia as diagnosed by a doctor.
Neomag® 4mmol Chewable Tablets are also indicated for adult patients with hypomagnesaemia due to the concomitant administration of loop and thiazide diuretics or other drugs which cause hypomagnesaemia.
PRESCRIBE and DISPENSE Neomag®
- Responsibly prescribe Neomag®, the only MHRA licensed Magnesium Glycerophosphate available in the UK1
- Neomag® is the only high quality, regulated Magnesium Glycerophosphate tablet available
- Neomag® is UK manufactured
- Prescribe and Dispense Neomag® and remove the liability of using unlicensed magnesium products
- Neomag® is a chewable, sugar free, pleasant tasting tablet, no water required
- Neomag® is suitable for diabetics and ambulatory patients
The cost of unlicensed Magnesium Glycerophosphate to the NHS in 2016 was c£4.2m3
Prescribing Neomag by brand name can save the NHS c£1.9m pa.- a 44% cost saving!4
1. Neomag® was licensed by the MHRA on 10/01/2017
2. Reinhart 1985; Ryzen 1985
3. NHS PCA data England, Wales and Scotland – December 2015 to November 2016
4. Neomag – NHS list price of £22.77 for 50 tablets
|Product||Strength||Pack Size||PIP Code||Bar Code||Neomag® NHS List Price|
|Neomag® Magnesium Glycerophosphate Chewable Tablets||4mmol (97mg)||50||404-8138||5060256720058||£22.77|
Patients with severe, symptomatic hypomagnesaemia should receive intravenous magnesium repletion for acute recovery of magnesium levels prior to receiving Neomag.
It is recommended that serum magnesium levels should be monitored at regular intervals (e.g. every 3-6 months), particularly in children and in patients with renal impairment.
Adults (> 18 years): The dosage regimen should be adjusted according to the serum total magnesium level of the individual patient. Starting doses for adult patients are recommended as 4-8 mmol (1-2 tablets) administered 3 times a day. This equates to a total dose of 12 to 24 mmol per day taken in divided doses.
Elderly: No dose adjustment is necessary.
Children: Neomag tablets should only be used if the benefits of treatment outweigh any potential risks and under the supervision of physicians experienced in the management of children with hypomagnesaemia.
- Children: below 4 years: Not recommended as there is insufficient information regarding the use of Neomag tablets in this age group.
- Children: 4 to 12 years: The dosage regimen should be adjusted according to the serum total magnesium level of the individual patient. A starting dose for children 4 to 12 years is recommended as 4 mmol (1 tablet) administered 2 times a day. This equates to a total dose of 8 mmol per day taken in divided doses.
- Children: 12 to 18 years: The dosage regimen should be adjusted according to the serum total magnesium level of the individual patient. A starting dose for children 12 to 18 years is recommended as 4 mmol (1 tablet) administered 3 times a day. This equates to a total dose of 12 mmol per day taken in divided doses.
Patients with Renal Impairment: Neomag is contraindicated in patients with severe renal impairment (see Section 4.3 of SmPC). There is no dose adjustment necessary in patients with mild to moderate renal impairment.
Downloads & links